May 22, 2019
Aurora Packing Company, Inc. Recalls Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination
May 20, 2019
Hill's Pet Nutrition Voluntary Recall of Select Canned Dog Food for Elevated Vitamin D
March 26, 2019
Darwin's Natural Dog Food Recall
Aurora Packing Company, Inc. Recalls Beef Products
Treatment for dogs eating snail bait
New FDA statement on dietary caused DCM
FDA asks pet food industry for DCM-related information. In its ongoing investigation into atypical cases of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) possibly related to grain-free pet food ingredients, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking the industry for information related to changes in ingredients, processing or formulation. Read the full story via the above link.
Echocardiographic phenotype of canine dilated cardiomyopathy differs based on diet type. Canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) can result from numerous etiologies including genetic mutations, infections, toxins, and nutritional imbalances. This study sought to characterize differences in echocardiographic findings between dogs with DCM fed grain-free (GF) diets and grain-based (GB) diets.
WASHINGTON, Dec. 21, 2018
Jennie-O Turkey Store Sales, Inc., a Faribault, Minn. establishment, is recalling approximately 164,210 pounds of raw ground turkey products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Reading, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The raw ground turkey items were produced on October 22, 2018 and October 23, 2018. The following products are subject to recall:
- 3-lb. packages of “Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 93% LEAN | 7% FAT” with “Use or freeze by” dates of 11/12/18 and 11/13/18 on the side of the trays.
- 1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 93% LEAN | 7% FAT” with “Use or freeze by” dates of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
- 1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O TACO SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with “Use or freeze by” dates of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
- 1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O ITALIAN SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with “Use or freeze by” dates of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
- 3-lb. packages of “Jennie-O Ground Turkey 85% LEAN | 15% FAT” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/13/18 on the side of the trays.
- 2.5-lb. packages of “Jennie-O Ground Turkey 93% LEAN | 7% FAT” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/13/18 on the side of the trays.
- 3-lb. packages of “STATER BROS. 85% LEAN | 15% FAT ALL NATURAL Ground Turkey” with a “Use or freeze by” date of 11/12/18 on the side of the trays.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. P-579” inside the USDA mark of inspection or on the side of the tray. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.
More information on the Jennie-O recalls.
December 24, 2018
Columbia River Natural Pet Foods of Vancouver, WA, is expanding its recent recall to include additional dog and cat foods due to their potential to be contaminated with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.
The following products are being recalled:
- Columbia River Cow Pie Food for Dogs and Cats
Package Size: 2 pounds
Lot Number: 72618
- Columbia River Chicken and Vegetables Food for Dogs and Cats
Package Size: 2 pounds
Lot Number: 111518
The recall includes 261 packages of Cow Pie Lot # 72618 and 82 packages of Chicken & Vegetables Lot# 111518 fresh frozen meats for dogs and cats, produced in July 2018 and November 2018.
Cow Pie and Chicken and Vegetables are fresh frozen meat products intended to be fed raw to dogs and cats.
Both were distributed in Alaska, Oregon, and Washington through retail stores and direct delivery.
More information on the Columbia River Recalls
It’s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy
AKC summary about the vitamin D-related recalls
The problem related to grain free boutique dog foods and DCM in dogs